SOAS Research Online

A Free Database of the Latest Research by SOAS Academics and PhD Students

[skip to content]

Heder, Stephen (1996) 'The Resumption of Armed Struggle by the Party of Democratic Kampuchea.' In: Heder, Stephen and Ledgerwood, Judy, (eds.), Propaganda, Politics and Violence in Cambodia: Democratic Transition Under United Nations Peace-Keeping. New York: M E Sharpe, pp. 73-113.

Full text not available from this repository.

Abstract

On 23 October 1991, Party of Democratic Kampuchea (PDK) I President Khieu Samphan and Vice-President Son Sen signed the Agreements on a Comprehensive Political Settlement of the Cambodia Conjlict. 2 In so doing, the PDK facade for the covertly communist leadership group headed by Pol Pot, Nuon Chea, and Ta Mok3 committed it to a cease-fire, to demobilization of at least 70 percent of its regular and guerilla armed forces, known as the National Army of Democratic Kampuchea (NADK), and to disarmament and cantonment (confinement to barracks) of the remaining 30 percent. It also agreed to participate in "free and fair elections" organized by the United Nations Transitional Authority in Cambodia (UNT AC) to select a constituent assembly that would write a new constitution for Cambodia, transform itself into a national assembly, and set up new government. In short, the PDK and its behind-the-scenes leaders committed themselves to giving up armed struggle in favor of peaceful political struggle via the parliamentary route.

Item Type: Book Chapters
SOAS Departments & Centres: Legacy Departments > Faculty of Law and Social Sciences > Department of Politics and International Studies
ISBN: 9781563246647
Date Deposited: 09 Dec 2007 13:39
URI: https://eprints.soas.ac.uk/id/eprint/2906

Altmetric Data

There is no Altmetric data currently associated with this item.

Statistics

Download activity - last 12 monthsShow export options
Downloads since deposit
6 month trend
0Downloads
6 month trend
561Hits
Accesses by country - last 12 monthsShow export options
Accesses by referrer - last 12 monthsShow export options

Repository staff only

Edit Item Edit Item